Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stingray amphibian - free 6 variant download

The Stingray is a small, powerful, two-seater amphibian. If you’re familiar with the MS Flight, think "Icon on steroids" that can take-off and land in 300ft but which has a top speed over 300 mph and can fold its wings.

It’s freeware from South African designer Simon Smeiman, but – by popular demand – I've packaged it up for you all with 6 variants, including Smeiman's original grey. The extra variants include a bunch of new liveries I designed, plus a range of my mini-panel popups, plus performance charts from my flight-testing, plus some leather upholstery in one variant, plus my favorite steam cockpit in another.

You can get them all here:
    Skydrive: http://tinyurl.com/storms-skydrive
    File: Stingray_v3.zip

General data:
    • This airplane is fictitious!
    • 5-bladed pusher single prop in thrust duct.
    • 320 hp, 8000 rpm single engine.
    • 2 seats, side-by-side.
    • Retractable tricycle gear for land work.
    • Dual float for water work.
    • Folding wings.
    • Glass cockpit standard.
    • Steam cockpit available.
    • Length 23 ft.
    • Wingspan 37 ft.
    • Height 8 ft.
    • Empty weight 1,000 lbs.
    • Maximum gross weight 2,400 lbs.
    • 90 US gallon fuel capacity.

Comment

Performance
      • Top speed 264 knots (304 mph) at 4,000 ft.
      • Stall speed in landing configuration 37 knots.
      • Final approach speed 50 knots.
      • Short field take-off roll 300 ft.
      • Rotate speed (normal land and water takeoff) 65 knots.
      • Rotate speed (short takeoff from land) 50 knots.
      • Service ceiling 27,500 ft.
      • Best economy 112 kts TAS at 20,000 ft.
      • Range at top speed 785 nmi.
      • Range at best economy 4710 nmi.
      • See performance chart in-game for more details.

Comment

Variants provided:

My favorite of these is by far the Steam Star-Spangled.

Comment

QUICK INSTALLATION:

Summary
          First...
          A: Unpack and install main aircraft.
          B: Install "extra" sounds.
          C: Assign the Wings fold/unfold key.

Then...
          D: Familiarize yourself with the mini-panels.
          E: Read the QUICK FLYING GUIDE.
          F. Check out the variants available in stingray-variants.png
          G. Check the performance charts (in-game).

And...
          H. Read Smeiman's manual (Note: not all his figures are accurate).

Plus...
          I. Additional note for FSD P38 owners.

-----------------------------------
          Detail
          QUICK INSTALLATION:
          A: Unpack and install main aircraft:
          1. Unzip into your SimObjects\Airplanes folder (to create a new Stingray_v3 folder in parallel to your other airplanes).

B: Install "extra" sounds:
          2. Navigate to SimObjects\Airplanes\Extra300\sound and make a copy of the sound.cfg file with a different name.
          3. Navigate to SimObjects\Airplanes\Stingray_v3\Replacement sound for Extra 300s and make a copy of the sound.cfg file.
          4. Navigate back to the SimObjects\Airplanes\Extra300\sound folder and paste in that copy of the sound.cfg file you got from Stingray_v3\Replacement sound for Extra 300s.

C: Assign the Wings fold/unfold key:
          5. Start FSX and go to (Options >) Settings > Controls.
          6. Select the Buttons/Keys tab and scroll to the next to last entry, which is "Wings fold/unfold".
          7. If you have no assignment set for keyboard, click on that line and press the "New Assignment" button.
          8. Enter the key or key combination that you wish to use. Smeiman uses "," (comma). Storm uses Ctrl + Shift + W.

D: Familiarize yourself with the mini-panels:
          9. Go to your favorite airport in Free Flight and select the Stingray as current aircraft. Don't forget to click "Details" to set your tail number
          10. When in the cockpit, press Shift + 8 to list all the popups available.

E: Read the QUICK FLYING GUIDE.

F. Read Smeiman's manual. (Note: not all his figures are accurate. See QUICK FLYING GUIDE and in-game performance charts.)

G. Check out the variants available in stingray-variants.png

H. Check the performance charts (in-game) by bringing up the right-most shift pop-up.

I. Additional note for FSD P38 owners.
          12. The Shift+3 popup shows dual GPSs. If you want the GNS 480 instead of the G1000 (for TCAS radar) as the top-right GPS on the Steam variant, do as follows:
          13. Navigate to SimObjects\Airplanes\Stingray_v3\panel.steam
          14. Edit PANEL.CFG
          15. Find the [Window02] section (which has the following instructions preceding it in its text):
          16. Change the following section by swapping the // marks from the third line to the second line.
          gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,3, 65,50
          gauge01=G1000!MFD_c172, 118,3,65,50
          //gauge02=FSDevGNS480!GNS480, 118,3,65,50
          to
          gauge00=fs9gps!gps_500, 0,3, 65,50
          //gauge01=G1000!MFD_c172, 118,3,65,50
          gauge02=FSDevGNS480!GNS480, 118,3,65,50
          17. Save it.

Comment

QUICK FLYING GUIDE (Steam Star-Spangled variant):

Summary
            1. Runway takeoff
            2. Runway landing
            3. Water takeoff
            4. Water landing
            5. Short field takeoff

6. Compare the variants.
            7. Check the stats.

WARNING
            NOTE
            -----------------------------------
            Details
            1. Runway takeoff:
            (a) Flaps up.
            (b) Mixture computer to green arc.
            (c) Full throttle. The prop revs build slowly at first.
            (d) Rotate gently at 65 knots (thin yellow line on the ASI).
            (e) When positive rate of climb, gear up.

2. Runway landing:
            (a) Gear and flaps down when less than 120 knots (white arc on ASI).
            (b) Recommended final approach speed is 50 knots (blue line on ASI) with full flaps.
            (c) Reduce throttle/flare and hold-off as normal.
            (d) Note that stall speed in landing configuration is 37 knots (thick red line on ASI).
            (e) Keep weight off nose wheel for as long as possible after touchdown.

3. Water takeoff:
            (a) Face into wind.
            (b) Flaps up.
            (c) Mixture computer to green arc.
            (d) Full throttle. The prop revs build slowly at first.
            (e) After 2000 rpm, the aircraft seems to lift onto a 'step'.
            (f) Ease back on the stick gently at 65 knots (thin yellow line on the ASI) and let the airplane fly itself off the water.

4. Water landing:
            (a) Gear up.
            (b) Flaps down when less than 120 knots (white arc on ASI).
            (c) Recommended final approach speed is 50 knots (blue line on ASI) with full flaps.
            (d) If possible maintain shallow angle of approach.
            (e) Use the radio altimeter to help judge height above water.
            (f) Reduce throttle/flare and hold-off as normal.
            (g) Note that stall speed with full flaps is 37 knots (thick red line on ASI).

5. Short field takeoff:
            (a) Flaps I.
            (b) Mixture computer to green arc.
            (c) Hold on brakes or parking brake on.
            (d) Full throttle.
            (e) As prop revs build to around 4000 rpm (or brakes no longer hold) release brakes.
            (f) Rotate abruptedly at 50 knots (the blue line on the ASI).
            (g) When airborne, gear up.
            (h) Clear obstacles.
            (i) Allow speed to build.
            (j) Flaps up before 120 knots.

6. Check the variants available in stingray-variants.png in your main Stingray_v3 folder (as earlier this thread).

7. Check out the performance stats in game with the right-most shift shift pop-up to find out what the Stingray can really do.

WARNING: After take-off, airspeed builds very quickly at full throttle.
            Ensure gear and any flaps (if short take-off) are up by the end of the ASI white arc at 120 knots.
            Reduce throttle or climb if necessary.

NOTE: Not all the speeds and other figures in Smeiman's documentation are accurate.
            The outer mini-panel ASI mph markings are flight-tested as accurate.
            The ASI knots markings are flight-tested as accurate.
            The service ceiling has been flight-tested to 50% higher than Smeiman specifies (27,500 not 18,000 ft).
            The maximum speed has been tested to more than 300 mph (not 288 mph).
            See the performance charts for the rest of the flight-tested figures.

Comment

Storm has produced a wonderful new aircraft to fly in FSX. The substantial upgrades he has made to the base aircraft (i.e. gray) Smeiman Stingray, includes many subtle and not so subtle performance and graphic improvements. It is now my preferred aircraft for a variety of different flight situations, and a must have for all water takeoffs/landings situations. It also makes a great general GA touring aircraft due to its high performance, and to the usability improvements Storm added for auto-pilot and GPS usage. The Steam cockpit version is very easy to fly.

Many of us who played MS Flight got our initial experience in the Icon A5, which is itself a somewhat fictitious aircraft. I enjoyed flying the Icon, and flew it a bunch before I invested it the some of the other DLC. Except for the notable limited performance characteristics the Icon was a great plane to fly, and it even had a functional cockpit. The Stingray as modified by Storm is what we wanted the Icon to be, and then some. When he says its on steroids that's a bit of an understatement. The Icon had problems climbing and getting to speeds over 100 kts, while the Stingray tops out at over 300 kts and can climb like a goat.

Storm has put a great amount of time, effort, and heart into this project, and it shows in the visual and performance quality of the Stingray's he modified. Both Idleline and I have flown many/most of these Stingray models, and find them great aircraft to fly. The Steam cockpit version is my favorite along with the Stars and Stripes paint scheme.

Thanks Storm.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
              "Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Downloading to check it out. Thanks!

Originally posted by Coast View Post
                Many of us who played MS Flight got our initial experience in the Icon A5, which is itself a somewhat fictitious aircraft. I enjoyed flying the Icon, and flew it a bunch before I invested it the some of the other DLC.
                That reminds me how I was watching Knight and Day a while ago and the bad guys escape aircraft was an Icon A5. Kept thinking what a crappy escape plane...
                - Michael
                Check out my cockpit build!

Comment

Originally posted by Waterman981 View Post
                  Downloading to check it out. Thanks!
                  You're welcome. :eagerness: Please let me know how it flies for you. Feedback is always encouraged!

I don't have the tools to change the model, but I do to change texture and panel - though I have to say I'm pretty happy with the Stingray now, especially the Steam Star-Spangled variant, and I'm not planning any further changes. There are three or four alternative liveries out there in freeware land, but please don't think me immodest if I like mine better! I'm not currently taking requests for new liveries however - though you're welcome to make your own and, if you do, please share them.

There is one known bug that neither Smeiman nor I can do anything about. Unlike the most other amphibians in FSX, the Stingray sits low in the water. Unfortunately FSX does not seem to model the boundary between airplane and water. So if you do land on water, you may find yourself sitting in the wet stuff when viewed from certain angles (though it's often hard to see)!

Comment

The link http://tinyurl.com/storms-skydrive doesn't work, can you give me another solution to download Stingray_v3.zip file please?
                    Another question... how can i change panel on an model?
                    Thank a lot

Comment

Looks to be working for me. There are many planes in the link. The Stingray is in the Modern Oddities folder.

Changing the panel. The is a simple question or a very complex one. It's depends on to what extent your looking to change it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                      Who has read this thread:
                      Working...
                      X