Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cross-community discussion thread-FSX Steam server(s) disconnection

Tim Walters, an msFLIGHTS.net friend and facilities enhancement collaborator with us, contacted me on the broad subject of FSX Steam server connection dependability. As those administrators who might post contributions to this thread know, I will not be able to effectively facilitate the discussion I wish to start in this thread. Therefore, may I post a cut-and-paste of this morning's email exchange between Mr. Walters and I by way of subject introduction?

[ TIM WROTE ]

Hi Bob

Hope you are well sir.

I am sick and tired of the MaldAir session falling out with a 'Disconnected - do you want to continue offline' message at the host. It usually does this at least a few times a day, sometimes a much longer time elapses.

Have you had a similar issue.

The problem occurs after anything between 5 minutes and 1-2 days after a restart.

Are you having, or do you have any suggestions with this particularly annoying issue?

Cheers

Tim Walters BA(Hons), SAC(Dip)
    Director, The MaldAir.com Group

The MaldAir.com Group. © Copyright 2016

[ END ]

[ I REPLIED ]

Yes, Tim. It is a way of life for us Steam hosts. USCentral, EasternHops, ElitePremAir, FsFlyboys, msFLIGHTS.net Australia, several others have expressed to one another (we "host server" group) their frustration with this server disconnection experience. IMHO, disconnection and reset is just a term of doing business with Valve Corp. and Steam. When several of our well connected members pursued resolution with Dovetail on this problem, foremost among them our own Novawing24 (Tristan, host of msFlights.net AU), Dovetail investigated and found disconnection to be a Steam problem and Valve Corp. determined that flight simulator servers had far too few enthusiasts (ie, customers) to warrant much remedial effort with flight simulation multiplayer.

There is more to this story but, alas, I either never knew or can't remember per tenant details. I will take the liberty of posting our email conversation in our own forum Tech Chat section and see if I can involve Novawing or other knowledgeable people in this topic's conversation. I know you to be registered on our forum and I'll send you a thread link later today.

Respects, Bob...

[ END ]

[ TIM REPLIED ]

Thanks Bob

At least I know I'm not on my own here. I've had professional hosting providers, business class internet, several machines, VMWares and significant hair loss and nothing has helped thus far.

I'll keep an eye on the forum sir!

Cheers

[ END OF EMAIL CONVERSATION ]

Mr. Walters' efforts to serve the greater simming world are lengthy and epic. Tim had previously offered our community and ATC_ROO in particular, collaboration on multiplayer on-line status including an offer to share very effective custom software of his own composition. (See MaldAir website to see this server status software in action.) Tim's dedication to providing for the wider simming world and his historic involvement towards this noble cause begs your participation in this thread and your contribution of experiences and research on the subject of FSX Steam server stability, you other server admins.
    Respects, Bob ...

As you mentioned Bob, neither the Boxed nor Steam versions of FSX have a 100% stable and dependable service no matter how good connections are. The only ways around this is using a 3rd party client such as Simlink or JoinFS or a similar method. These methods make it easy to reconnect when any disconnects happen and you also don't lose your entire flight.

Comment

Ports are a big factor.
      If I get time I'll have a look at my router and post the ports I have for FSX later today.

The Steam test server I have running at the moment has been up with no problem for a few days now.

The last was OK for over a week before I closed it.
      If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Ports I have forwarded for FSX.

2302 -2400 UDP
        23456 UDP
        27016 TCP/UDP
        27036 TCP/UDP
        6073 UDP
        6112-6122 UDP

Comment

According to DTG, PORT 27016 and 6112 are the only ones needed.

I will add these additional ports anyways as I've nothing to lose!

I'll report back sometime, but as the problem is particularly evasive and random it may take some time!

Regards

Tim Walters
          MaldAir.com

Comment

Within a few minutes, I got this on PORT 27017 (which was previously blocked).

This IP is a Valve server.

However, this was NOT at the server, it was on a connecting client.
            Last edited by algaeholics; November 7, 2016, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I did have an explanation of what each port is used for somewhere.
              I'll see if I can find it.
              I've not added the voice ports but voice seems to work fine on mine without them.

Comment

I've set up 'SmartSniff' to sniff at the packets on each of those new ports. So far, nothing has shown.

Comment

I've never been much of a Steam user, but I'm intuiting and theorizing (uh oh!): could Steam's client application have something to do with this? I'm sure it has its own non-FSX-related methods of playing ping-pong, and I wouldn't be surprised if it had the influence to metaphorically spin the ball off the table and out of play.

P.S.- A very quick query found Steam's support page referencing a bunch of ports, some of which are included in Roo's list above. Linked Here
                  Take the time, a second to soar; for soon after, beckons a second more.

Comment

I've not done any packet sniffing and some of the above ports maybe left over from when I used to run a community with a Boxed server.

But they are what is working for my test Steam server.

FSX ports have always been a talking point with some people believing you only need the 6112 - 6122 range open to host effectively, whilst others believe you need other ports.

All I can say is I hosted a Steam server with just 6112, viewed on another PC it didn't show in the lobby.
                    I slowly started opening the ports above which resulted in the server showing and then people started to join so I know they do something.

Here is an old post from the Game spy days which might be useful.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/925896

Comment

I opened port 6112 and 27016 and it worked from day one - save for the errant disconnects being discussed here.

I've had the packet sniffer running for the last 6-7 hours and only 6112 and 27016 appear to be used at this point. I will keep digging however.

I'm half tempted to put the server in the DMZ and disable the Windoze firewall to see what happens!

Comment

I know for Boxed one port was labled UDP Query.

Assume by the name something queries the server now and then?

Comment

Have been running the scanner for 20 hours. 45 million packets later, nothing seems to use the new ports suggested... Yet...

Comment

Originally posted by algaeholics View Post
                            Have been running the scanner for 20 hours. 45 million packets later, nothing seems to use the new ports suggested... Yet...
                            But has your server disconnected? ��

Comment

Not yet, but I did have to restart due to FSX freezing...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                              Who has read this thread:
                              Working...
                              X