• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transit flight

Date: August 21, 2016
    Time: 1200 PDT (1500 EDT)
    Server: MSFlights Sim-Link

This week we will be in transit from Renton Mun (KRNT) to Whitehorse Intl (CYXY). This is a flight of around 1000 miles so figure on 2 1/2 hours from takeoff to landing. You may fly any aircraft you like that will do 290kts at fl 300 or higher. I will be providing a modified ATC service for departure and arrival . First takeoff will be at 1200 PDT so please be on the server in your plane on the tarmac with engines running by 1145 so I will have time to get you all taxied into position prior to that time. Whatever you enter as your callsign in vPilot will be the designater I will use to contact you. Since this will be an ATC controlled atmosphere please observe standard radio protocol. Chatter should be kept to a minimum until all pilots are at altitude. From then until we start our descent normal chatter is ok. Once descent has started again observe standard radio protocol. Its been a while since I've done ATC so lets have some fun with this.

The flightplan is: KRNT, YYJ, YZT, ANN, LVD, SSR, YXY, CYXY.

I have done further research into msflight's ATC policies and requirements and have determined that the service I was going to provide does not follow the established guidelines. Until such time as I can correct that problem I will NOT be doing any ATC sessions to avoid any possible problems with the msflight people who have been so kind as to welcome the FSV people into their family. The transition flight will go on as planned but without ATC intervention.
    Last edited by FSV-Dan; August 16, 2016, 04:11 PM. Reason: education into msflight policies

Interstate 90 Trip was an exceptionally well orchestrated and enjoyable series from what I've heard from the regulars who assemble and fly here nightly. I regret not being able to make those flights and I hope my real life Sundays will permit me to fly with you worthy and skilled pilots at FSVintageAir. Those same regulars were discussing this night (Thursday tarmac time after Round the World flight) the comment and disqualification we read in red lettering above.

We are all of like mind in that the desires and the requirements of a flight lead, those who put forth the effort to create the themed group flights we all enjoy so much around here, are welcomed and encouraged to structure such events HOWEVER suits the purpose and theme of their respective offerings. This philosophy extends to the inclusion of ATC in group flight. We all agree that if ATC is part and parcel of the experience being offered, ATC would be welcome and embraced. Just because we don't normally encounter ATC operations in our iconic group flights is NOT any indication that ATC can't or shouldn't be requested or even required at flight lead's discretion. If there are those pilots otherwise interested in a group flight event who are hesitant, unskilled or just plain opposed to flight in a controlled environment, those pilots will just pass on the event offered, drop into the voice channel to listen and learn or endeavor to attempt something new.

msFLIGHTS.net does not now nor have we ever had any prohibition on controlling the airspace. Yes, historically the iconic flight leads have foregone impromptu offers to "open a tower" at a destination airport because such control was not part of the theme and, in the flight lead's opinion, would detract from rather than enhance their particular theme and flight plan.

Long story short (or at least not longer than it is now), if FSVintageAir would see benefit for ATC to be part of a group flight or a series, PLEASE include ATC operations. Explain what you will expect, educate as necessary and expect cooperation and gratitude from those of us who enjoy this community's many different ways to fly together.
    Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Bob,

Thank you for your comments. I am going to leave this flight as is. However I will most definately be adding ATC to some furture flights. Past experience at FSV has demonstrated to me that low and slow does not require ATC but when you have a group of pilots flying jets or even fast turboprops the sky gets caotic very quickly with no ATC on approach. I know there are those who, for whatever reason, do not like ATC and that is their perogative. I am not offended if they forgo those sessions.

I appreciate the support of everyone here at msflights and plan on continuing to produce group sessions for a long time here.

Dan

Comment

I have done further research into msflight's ATC policies and requirements and have determined that the service I was going to provide does not follow the established guidelines. Until such time as I can correct that problem I will NOT be doing any ATC sessions to avoid any possible problems with the msflight people who have been so kind as to welcome the FSV people into their family. The transition flight will go on as planned but without ATC intervention.

I'm curious as to what problems you encountered regarding ATC Dan?

I'm always looking to more ATC on MSFLIGHTS.

Was there anything in particular which caused you problems?
        If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Roo

I am hoping to get the time this next week to get with you to discuss your ATC program. I have over 400 hours of ATC time in the flightsim environment and want to make sure that I and the msflights ATC program are on the same page before I jump in. I think a discussion between us is necessary to make sure I am working to enhance the msflights ATC program and not move it in a direction that differs from your vision. I will send you a PM as soon as I know what my schedule for this next week is. Hopefully we can get together on discord and discus things.

Dan

Comment

I'll make this my last post here as I've already disrupted this thread.
            And this is for anybody else reading this too.

Everybody is welcome to control at MSFLIGHTS.
            There are no special privileges needed as with some other communities.
            I am aware that some of the ATC software is confusing if you've not used it before, but it's not a case of you must use that software.
            You can use the default radar if you are an FSX simmer.

The only extra program you would need to use the default radar is the SimLink Radar program I created and that is only so you can see the SimLink aircraft.

If you want to control just do it.

Start FSX (Boxed or Steam).
            Connect as a controller to the MSF boxed or Steam servers.
            Open the program I created.
            Open Vpilot and the proxy and connect.

This way you will see the traffic on the FSX server you connected too and my program will add the extra SimLink Traffic to the same radar screen.
            Join discord and use the ATC channel so pilots can talk to you.

If anybody has further questions start a new topic in the ATC section on these forums, so anybody else having problems can also read the replies.

AFAIK (other ATC admin can correct me on this) we are waiting for comments and suggestions before we progress any kind of MSF ATC program.

To add to this...
            As Robert mentioned above you obviously wouldn't open a Tower if the majority of traffic already (or planning too fly) there didn't want an ATC service.
            The same as you wouldn't control the host airport as the majority don't want ATC.

If your the organiser of the event and you have said there is ATC then it's your event.

Similarly if somebody else has organised an event that isn't ATC related then that's thier event.

The only advice I would give is not to try and control anybody that doesn't want to be.
            In real life controllers who control outside of controlled airspace deal with uncontrolled traffic everyday, so it adds to realism keeping your traffic safe in my opinion.
            Last edited by ATC_ROO; August 21, 2016, 03:28 PM.
            If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

http://imgbox.com/g/6DPRnPUaxl Here are some pics from another great flight. Sorry I missed the first half of the flight, I was w___ing. (pardon my french). Thank you Dan for a wonderful trip across the US and this transit flight to set us up for what I'm sure will be another great series of flights.

Comment

Thank you Dan. A very nice "bridging" flight. Just one shot from me...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                Who has read this thread:
                Working...
                X