X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confusion- No
    something we can market- Yes
    I personally feel if vatsim,Ivao etc have something they market as there own and it attracts the huge numbers they get. Then us having something we can market to the community of pilots that like what vatsims servers do minus the ATC can only be a positive for us especially when the MSflights proxy client is finished (not official yet) and a connection client not based for vatsim is in use we can officially push the simlink name as we will have software created by us to connect to the FSD base server so the name simlink with a tagline powered by FSD seems logical.
    And this is a fantastic tool for our current members but a designated name and software of our own will attract new members looking for what we offer. Instead of setting up there own FSD based server and using the hard work put in by our team to customise it to our needs for there own group.
    Bristol flight group had BFSG FSD proxy so i see no harm in us having our Simlink FSD naming. Again this is purely an opinion i have and i do not speak for everyone here.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by edd2287 View Post
      confusion- No
      something we can market- Yes
      I personally feel if vatsim,Ivao etc have something they market as there own and it attracts the huge numbers they get. Then us having something we can market to the community of pilots that like what vatsims servers do minus the ATC can only be a positive for us especially when the MSflights proxy client is finished (not official yet) and a connection client not based for vatsim is in use we can officially push the simlink name as we will have software created by us to connect to the FSD base server so the name simlink with a tagline powered by FSD seems logical.
      And this is a fantastic tool for our current members but a designated name and software of our own will attract new members looking for what we offer. Instead of setting up there own FSD based server and using the hard work put in by our team to customise it to our needs for there own group.
      Bristol flight group had BFSG FSD proxy so i see no harm in us having our Simlink FSD naming. Again this is purely an opinion i have and i do not speak for everyone here.
      I do see what your getting at Edd.
      But VATSIM is the name of that group.
      Like our name is MSFLIGHTS.

"Anybody know of a multiplayer environment for Xplane?"
      "Try MSFLIGHTS.net"
      Not simlink.net.

As for BFSG FSD Proxy.
      That's BFSG'S Proxy for FSD.
      The same as the version we have which is MSF FSD Proxy.
      Not MSF Simlink Proxy.

I just feel were renaming something for no need.
      It's like renaming FSX one link or a pencil a sticklead.

That's my 2 pence worth anyway.
      If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Ya I kinda agree with ATC_ROO there
        [IMG]http://173.83.96.30/stuff/images/A2A/banner-n7048p.png[/IMG]
        [COLOR="#006400"][B][I]Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself![/I][/B][/COLOR]
        [COLOR="#FF0000"][B]✈️Youtube:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjeLgOOxRhnvfPD5VJhxRjw[/URL]

Comment

my main reason to name it something other than purely fsd is if you google Fsd fsx or something along those lines you get -http://www.fsd-international.com/ a developers site. I think a name that makes it more personal to us is good as long as credit is given where needed.
          sigpic

Comment

But you shouldn't need to Google FSD.
            You'd google VATSIM for VATSIM and MSFLIGHTS for MSFLIGHTS.
            Unless you've heard of FSD you'd never google it.

You'd Google FSX multiplayer or Xplane Multiplayer.

What do you get if you google Simlink?
            If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Roo does have a point, but from what I understand with my limited FSD experience is that SimLink would refer to the overall package which includes vpilot, the proxy and also model matching files. Then again I feel I don't know enough about all this software to make this call.

Comment

if you google simlink fsx msflights is the 5th one. just from the last 3 threads mentioning it.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kalo View Post
                  Roo does have a point, but from what I understand with my limited FSD experience is that SimLink would refer to the overall package which includes vpilot, the proxy and also model matching files. Then again I feel I don't know enough about all this software to make this call.

Me too, exactly like Kalo posts. I don't care to offend any sister sim communities. I always endorse crediting and thanking originating authors and avoiding to the point of use prohibition even ethical "copyright" infringement. I am happy letting those that know this software's origins, permissions for use and our community's overall goals make recommendation on renaming with the philosophical explanations I read in the latter pages of this thread.

Thanks for the discussion and education, posters.
                  Respects, Bob ...

Comment

Originally posted by edd2287 View Post
                    if you google simlink fsx msflights is the 5th one. just from the last 3 threads mentioning it.
                    Actually, edd, that's just because you're within your personal Google filter bubble. That filter bubble elevates those links it thinks you're interested in higher in the search results. If you use anonymous Google, or if (like me) you use DuckDuckGo instead - both of which do not impose a filter bubble - SimLink does not come in the first 250 hits on Google (I got bored looking after that) though it comes up at numbers 10 and 19 on DuckDuckGo. Yay DDG!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                    Who has read this thread:
                    Working...
                    X