Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have FSX-SE use the aircraft from the boxed original FSX

Having to reinstall of your aircraft into Steam is a nuisance. I’ve found a method that will have FSX-SE look to your original FSX hangar for aircraft that are already there. Future aircraft installations will be simplified as well.

This process is not perfect. While most of my aircraft work perfectly, there are a couple I’ve noticed do have some minor issues in the virtual cockpit. Some more evaluation is needed.

FSX-SE knows what aircraft are available because there are lines in the FSX-SE.CFG that tell it where to look. If you do not know where this CFG file is then it may be best that you do not utilize this procedure. As always, be sure to make backups of any file before editing anything. In the FSX-SE.CFG there is a section titled [Main]. In that section are several lines regarding where aircraft are:
    SimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\Airplanes
    SimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\Rotorcraft
    SimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehicles
    SimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\Boats
    SimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\Animals
    SimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\Misc

The most important part is add the full Windows path name in between the "=" and "SimObjects" in each of these lines.
    The GAUGES, EFFECTS and SOUND folder should be copied from the original FSX folder to the FSX-SE folder. Many aircraft store items in these folders.

Here’s the process I use:

• Ensure that FSX is not running.
    • Open the FSX-SE main folder. Rename the Effects, Gauges, and Sound folders.
    • Make a backup of the FSX-SE.CFG file.
    • Open the FSX-SE.CFG
    • Turn the word wrap feature off.
    • Add the windows path to the Original FSX installation.
      • The lines should now read:

SimObjectPaths.0= C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes
    SimObjectPaths.1= C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Rotorcraft
    SimObjectPaths.2= C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\GroundVehicles
    SimObjectPaths.3= C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Boats
    SimObjectPaths.4= C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Animals
    SimObjectPaths.5= C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Misc

• As long as the word wrap feature is turned off each line will start with “SimObjectPaths” even if you don’t see that in this text document/forum post
    • Save and close the file.
    • Copy the EFFECTS, GAUGES, and SOUND folders from the original FSX folder to the FSX-SE folder.
      • You’ll need to perform this step every time you add an vehicle/aircraft to FSX in order to ensure it works properly in FSX-SE

While this process is not a perfect solution, it does work in most cases. For myself I find it’s a net benefit. We’ll just have to see how things shape up with Steam over the long run.
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
Who has read this thread:
Working...
X