X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lapland ATC

Christmas is now not far away.
    So here is the Christmas ATC event starting at 2000 zulu (8pm UK time and 3pm EST ).

Hopefully controllers from all over the world can join in so we can keep it going for as long as possible.
    For instance as the UK controllers go to bed Eastern and Central US can take over, then Pacific and Mountain into Australia etc etc.

Why the 12th?
    Because I know we are all busy at Christmas so I didn't want to do it too close and also I'm off work then too.

ATC will be at EFRO Rovaniemi, Finland.
    This is apparently the closest you can get to Lapland, although as we all know the exact location is unknown.

Everyone is needed both Pilots and ATC.
    It's no fun having lots of Controllers but no pilots.

If we have a couple of Controllers then upper controlled space and airports nearby can be opened.

If you've not flown with ATC before, DON'T WORRY IT'S REALLY EASY.

IFR = You will be given headings and altitudes to get you to your destination.
    You can then do a visual or ILS approach whilst on final.
    VFR = Fly under you own navigation without instructions from ATC until you need to land or take off.
    You may be given an altitude restriction ie "not above altitude 1500ft" but that is it and would only be to separate you from other traffic.

Some simple instructions for VFR traffic....

Join and report left/right Downwind or base = Fly as you want but when you get to the downwind or base leg tell ATC your there, then continue flying your approach.
    See here if you don't know what Downwind is.

Orbit = fly around in a tight circle. example "N123 ORBIT LEFT AT THE START OF THE BASE LEG" You would fly tight left hand circles until instructed to continue your approach.

Join in the overhead = Fly your own navigation to fly directly over the airfield. Example "N123 Join in the overhead not below altitude 3000ft and make left downwind" You would fly directly overhead the airfield higher than 3000ft then turn left onto your downwind leg and start descending.

And most importantly.....
    Tower I've no idea what your saying = You have no idea and the Controller will tell you exactly what they want you to do in plain English.

Formations also welcome.
    One pilot communicates with ATC and the rest follow him/her.

If there is a Lapland Group flight they are also welcome to transit the airspace, or land either as a formation or as one by one.

I hope everybody can make it.
    I hope pilots who haven't tried ATC will also join in.

******EVENT DETAILS*****

Trying to keep it simple and realistic.

*****Pilots*****
    All airspace above 7000ft is Controlled airspace.
    All Controlled Towers operate up to 20nm.
    VFR aircraft must fly below 7000ft.
    If VFR climb higher than 7000ft they will then become IFR and subject to headings and altitudes from the FIR.

Any aircraft within 20nm of a controlled airfield and below 7000ft should be speaking to Tower.

Any aircraft above 7000ft is IFR and should be speaking to the FIR (if available).

A pilot flying in uncontrolled space can fly how they like but should Squawk 7000 or 1200.
    Both squawks are available due to the amount of users from different parts of the world.

*****ATC*****

EFIN Finland FIR
    CALLSIGN = Finland Center
    First things first.
    If the FIR controller gets really busy or needs to pop away to use the toilet etc, they can negotiate an early handover with the next Tower.
    An aircraft at any level can be passed to any Tower if you've given them a heads up first and they have agreed.

EFIN Finland FIR (Finland Center) will be controlled when there is more than 2 controlled airfields.

The controller controlling the FIR will control aircraft that are at 7000ft and above or more than 20nm from a controlled airfield.
    Example: An aircraft at 5000ft 25nm from EFRO does not need to speak to anyone but can speak to the FIR if they want to.

Where as an aircraft at 8000ft anywhere will need to be speaking to the FIR.

The FIR controller will issue headings and altitudes to aircraft above 7000ft in order to keep separation and get them to their destination.
    Aircraft not above 7000ft but controlled by the FIR can fly IFR or VFR.
    It is up to the FIR Controller how far out they would like to provide a service, but all controlled airports should be covered by the FIR.
    Any aircraft contacting the FIR on a 7000 or 1200 Squawk will be given a squawk starting with 6 by the FIR. ie 6123

The FIR Controller will issue a handover to the next controller once the aircraft has started a descent to below 7000ft and is within 20nm of a controlled airfield.

ie N123 is flying at 10000ft. "N123 Descend to altitude 6000ft and contact Roveniemi Tower 123.45"

An aircraft leaving the FIR not near a controlled airport will be asked to Squawk 7000 and FREECALL on route.

Freecall means the pilot will contact a tower if they get within 20nm of it, or will switch to unicom (or any other channel they wish) if not near any towers.

Towers

Again first things first.
    If the Tower controller gets really busy or needs to pop away to use the toilet etc, they can negotiate an early handover with the FIR.
    Example: and aircraft at any level can be passed to the FIR if you've given them a heads up first.
    An aircraft in your 20nm below 7000ft can be given a 7000 squawk and asked to freecall on route.

There will be no Ground controllers in this session.
    The callsign TOWER will be used for TOWER, GROUND and RADAR.

VFR Departures
    All VFR aircraft will be given a direction to depart, any restrictions and your specific squawk.

Example: N123 After departure, LEFT TURN, NOT ABOVE ALTITUDE 3000FT, Squawk 1234.

Once they are more than 20nm from you...
    "N123 service terminated, Squawk 7000 and freecall on route"

Your specific squawk is the squawk you have decided your airport uses.
    All airfields are designated a group of squawks (3601-3607 or 5601-5607 etc) so other agencies know which tower is talking to that aircraft.
    When nobody is talking to them (unicom) they would squawk 7000 or 1200 in the US.

IFR Departures
    All IFR aircraft will be given a departure point or heading, an altitude to climb to and a squawk starting with 6.
    Once passing 7000ft they will be given to the FIR.

Example: N123 after departure fly heading 120degs, climb altitude 5000ft, squawk 6421.

VFR Arrivals
    All VFR aircraft will be told how to join your pattern either to land or t&g etc.

Example: "N123 with you, VFR to the North, to land/for a touch and go/for a low approach".
    "N123 Good evening, join and report right base runway 27".

IFR Arrivals
    All IFR will be given Vectors(Headings and altitudes) to the active runway.

Some IFR might want an ILS approach, some might want Vectors to a visual approach.

Example: Tower N123 with you, passing 8000 for 5000, IFR to land.
    "N123 good evening, are you looking for an ILS or visual approach?"
    "Tower N123 would like vectors for the visual approach please."
    "N123 turn left heading 120deg, continue descent altitude 3000ft on QNH/ALTIMETER 1013/2992".

**************The above are guidelines only!*****************
    I have tried to make it as easy as possible so everybody is singing from the same carol sheet, but also add the realism of handovers etc.

ANY AIRCRAFT IS WELCOME!
    ANY AIRPORTS CAN BE CONTROLLED!
    PILOTS CAN FLY TO AND FROM ANYWHERE!

Useful airfields and distances from EFRO....

EFRO Roveniemi (Lapland) 0NM
    EFKM KEMIJARVI 33NM
    EFSO SODANKYLA 53NM
    EFKT KITTILA 71NM
    EFOU OULU 100NM
    ESNX ARVIDSJAUR 170NM
    ENNA LAKSELV BANAK 211NM
    EFKE KEMI TORINO 219NM
    EFTP TAMPERE 314NM

And dare I say it this early.... Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by ATC_ROO; November 29, 2014, 02:30 PM.
    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Hey Andy,

Merry XMas to you too! I would love to sign up to be a controller and imam glad we finally have an atc group flight running. Nice work and thanks so much for organising this!

From Kamil

Comment

Ok Kamil let everybody know and we'll try and get a busy session together.

It would be great if there are controllers based in the US that could take over after us European based, and then Aussie controllers taking it from there and keep it going for as long as possible, maybe even 24 hours?
      Last edited by ATC_ROO; November 26, 2014, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Sure thing! I should be back on Wednesday/Thursday so we can start then

Comment

Hi ATC_ROO,

I would like to participate as a pilot. I undestand I can use any aircraft I like, right ?

What is the airspace range you mean to cover ? ie, does it include neighboring countries like Sweden, Denmark & Norway ?

And last, thank you for the idea you gave me in that tech post, regarding deleting the FSX roaming folder. Hope you remember.

Yigal

Comment

That won't be a problem Yigald, all pilots and ATC are welcome.
            Any aircraft that is allowed on the server can be used there are no restrictions.
            The airspace is yet to be announced as we are unsure of the amount of traffic and controllers that will be participating.

I will talk to others and put together some kind of flight plan before the event.

Comment

Ill be flying/controlling. Family don't all arrive till a few days after so shouldn't be a problem. Might want to post it on the fsopen forum so everyone else can see.

Comment

Great Chris, so far that's 2 controllers including myself so 2 airports will be open.
                Feel free to advertise it where you like. more traffic more traffic

Comment

Don't forget me mate; I'd love to control!

Comment

np 3 controllers so far.

Comment

ATC event starting at 2000 zulu (8pm UK time and 3pm EST ) today!
                      Hope too see a few there.
                      Spread the word.

Comment

:eagerness: THE LAPLAND ATC EVENT IS UNDERWAY! :eagerness:
                        I am using the FSX - TS3 Radio plugin for those that have it.
                        Towers that are using the plugin should include it in their name for pilot info.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
                        Who has read this thread:
                        Working...
                        X