Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOONEY BIRD FLIGHT: Iliamna to Kodiak

I had originally to fly mostly over water, but after doing a test flight changed my mind. We still have a good deal of water to cross, but we will be also be flying in the mountains and valleys before we finish up at our old familiar airport of PADQ Kodiak.

Flight Plan: PLN File

FLIGHT PLAN DETAIL:

FLIGHT PLAN MAP:

"Having fun with friends! "

Airports we land at on this group flight.

Big mountain 37AK

Notes: From Wikipedia
    Big Mountain RRS was constructed in 1956 as part of the White Alice Communication System (WACS), a defense communication network and aircraft warning system established across Alaska during the Cold War. Advances in technology made the Big Mountain installation obsolete and it was abandoned in 1979. The United States Air Force still owns 440 acres (1.8 km2) at the site, which consists of a Lower Camp alongside the airstrip and an Upper Camp on the top of Big Mountain. There is also a barge landing site at Reindeer Bay that is now owned by the University of Alaska, with surrounding land owned by the State of Alaska

Kulik Lake LKK

Notes: From Wikipedia

Facilities and aircraft
    Kulik Lake Airport has one runway designated 6/24 which has a gravel surface measuring 4,350 by 110 feet (1,326 x 34 m). It also has a seaplane landing area designated 18W/36W which measures 5,000 by 5,000 feet (1,524 x 1,524 m). The airport is unattended.[1]

Remarks:[1]
    1) Runway crowns in center. No line of sight between runway ends.
    2) East half of runway on national park land & open to the public about 2000 feet; west half of runway on private land & closed to the public about 2000 feet.
    3) East half runway surface smooth & uniform with compacted gravel. West half runway surface covered with loose 2 inch x 5 inch round stones.
    4) Ramp on west end of runway privately owned. Yellow barrels mark property line.
    5) Heavy bear concentration; bears frequently on runway during summer.
    6) Use extreme caution in high & gusty wind.
    7) Runway 18W/36W active summer fishing season only - public use.

Kodiak PADQ

"Having fun with friends! "

Comment

Just suffered a full system crash thanks to some free addon I installed. Lesson learned. If I can get win7 re-installed and my FSX installed in time I'll be there.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
      Who has read this thread:
      Working...
      X