X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ILS Approach

How to do an ILS approach.

I know there are a lot of people out there that have no clue what an ILS (Instrument Landing System) approach is or how to fly one.

The ILS is used to guide you to the runway usually in poor or bad visibility.

The ILS is usually flown manually by following the markers on your cockpit display, but the autopilot can also do this if you don't think you can keep your aircraft on track.

Following the steps below will help you to fly one.

1. Get the frequency for the runway you are landing on.
    You can either ask the controller if your flying under ATC or open the map and click on the airport your flying too to get the airport details including the ILS frequency.

2. Input the frequency into your radio stack under NAV 1 STANDBY and make it the active frequency by flicking the toggle switch between the 2 frequency displays.

3. You will then get 2 markers usually on your artificial horizon.
    In the video these are the pink markers I point to.

4. Follow the markers.
    If the marker for the altitude (Glideslope Indicator) is at the top of the scale level off or increase your height.
    If the marker for Left and Right (Localizer Indicator) is left, then turn left similarly if its right turn right.

The video below shows me this evening flying into EGCC in the default 737 with autopilot controlling the ILS as I had no visual references.
    It's a quick basic video which if you watch it all will help you make for first approach.

Where as this video shows how to fly the ILS without using the autopilot.

In the video you will see me opening the map in order to gain the information I need to tune to the ILS and fly the approach.

Below is a screen shot of the map.

And after double clicking on the airport I want I get the screen below.

After getting the info you need tune the ILS frequency into the NAV1 STANDBY and click the button between the freqs to make it the active freq.

Use the runway heading to set you ILS gauge to this heading.

These are both shown in the video above.

To fly the ILS approach the trick is to keep an eye on your Instruments.
    The picture below shows 2 different types of ILS gauge.

The first (black dial) shows I am too high on the approach and need to descend quicker, but I am on track heading in the right direction.
    The second digital gauge shows I am below the Glide path (too low) and I need to fly level until it drops down the scale.
    In the second scale I am also too far right and need to correct by turning left slightly.

IF FLYING UNDER ATC
    The controller should give you an approach course to establish on the localizer and then ask you to report when established.
    Eg. "G123 TURN HEADING 060 DEGREES AND REPORT ESTABLISHED RUNWAY 09"

So what do you do?
    How do you know when your established?

If ATC knows what it's doing it will give you a heading that is within 40 degrees of the runway so that you don't establish too quickly which would not give you time to turn on to final and follow the ILS.
    See image below.

I don't fly aircraft, I'm an ATC Man but I believe that in real life you do not report established until the needle on the gauge is a quarter across the scale.
    The needles in FSX move that quickly that if you don't report established as soon as they start to move you'll end up missing the approach.

So back to what the controller wants you to do "REPORT ESTABLISHED"
    As soon as you see any (or both) of the needles move on your ILS display then just call up "G123 ESTABLISHED 09".
    Look at the picture below to determine if your FULLY ESTABLISHED or just PARTIALLY ESTABLISHED.
    "G123 FULLY ESTABLISHED" = Both needles moving
    If partially established you will either be "G123 ESTABLISHED ON THE GLIDE SLOPE"
    Or
    "G123 ESTABLISHED ON THE LOCALIZER".

At this point the controller will either tell you to "CONTINUE THE APPROACH" or "CLEARED TO LAND" if the runway is clear.
    Both instructions mean you continue to fly the ILS on your own, with no more headings or altitudes from the controller.

I hope this information and the videos help a few learn how to use the ILS and the benefits of it.
    Last edited by ATC_ROO; December 21, 2014, 06:48 PM.
    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Added an extra video to show how to tune the freq in a Cessna and also fly the approach manually.

I apologize for my lack of excellent graphics.
    If you don't use BOINC or World Community Grid then you should!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page
    Who has read this thread:
    Working...
    X